Re: Confession of error...

David L. Gehrt writes:

Because I had  some difficulty with the full install of  Core 6 the question
is what  is the likelihood of a  successful upgrade straight from  Core 3 to
Core 6.   So far it  isn't looking that  good.  I booted  up the Core  6 DVD
started an  upgrade and things  stopped at the checking  dependencies point.
There was no appearance of the progress bar, after 30 minutes, nor did there
seem to be any activity on he DVD drive.

I am hoping not  to have to do a chain of  installs starting with the system
at Core 3 --> Core  4 --> Core 5 --> Core 6.  If it  is even possible to get
core  4 and  core 5  installation  media.  [Checking  on installation  media
availability is next.]

Any practical advice would be more than welcome.

Have patience.

Really. You say it's an old K6. It's entirely possible that it can take +30 minutes for Anaconda to figure out what it wants to upgrade, on a slow box. I quite distinctly recall being pissed myself, regarding this subject.

I believe that you'll have a shell prompt on one of the ALT-VTs, probably ALT-F2. If you switch there and run "top", you're likely to observe Anaconda spinning its wheels, for a good part of an hour.

But, before you try this again, there are a couple of things you'll need to do, in order to make sure things go smooth. Boot FC3 again, and make sure your filesystems are clean. Touch /.forcefsck then reboot, to recheck all filesystems. Then, run "rpm --rebuilddb", then finally reboot into the FC6 installer.

And go out for dinner while the stupid thing figures out what it wants to.