Re: Network Printer on Fedora

At 16:26 26/04/2007, you wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for the last topic hijack post.

Just in time to avoid the virtual wrist-slap!

Could someone point me to a good reference for setting up a Network Printer on Fedora? I want to use Samba as a print server.

Thanks

Kevin

I'm in the middle of trying to work out how to set up a new server right now. Using Dapper Drake =-O (sh... don't tell everybody) because of the Long Term Support policy. Hardware is built from a Jetway fanless mainboard, SATA HDD and case.

It's running CUPS without any samba installed, and works just fine with both XP (which needs manual configuration of the printers) and FC5 (which needs no configuration - it auto detects the printer queues and "Just Works"). XP needs to know nothing about the printers except the paper size - it uses the generic postscript driver.

I'm a total amateur at this but if you want it I have a zip file of notes of what I did. Contact me off list if you want a copy.

Dave F