Re: OT Action Computer games

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:58:42 -0700
Norm <maillist@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> My sister is in the process of buying a new computer for her 15 year old
> son.  She would prefer to follow my advice and use a Linux operating
> system, the catch is there does not seem to be many games for Linux that
> would hold a typical 15 year olds attention.

Linux is not realistically a good game console. A WII or similar would do
that job far better. There are setups based upon wine to make it easier to
do gaming but its oriented at fairly technical users and no doubt is
always going to hit the "but it works for everyone else at school" thing.
Even if you get it working for high end 3D you've got to worry about
drivers and someone suddenly dropping support etc.

(Mind you I find the idea of children playing large numbers of games
which involve shooting other people in semi-random acts of violence a bad
one, even before last week)

Alan