Re: rss2email gives: Fatal error: could not connect to mail server

Thufir wrote:
> When root, I still get that same error.  As user "thufir", r2e just
> hangs.
>
> [root@benetleilax .rss2email]#
> [root@benetleilax .rss2email]# r2e run
> E: error in "feedparser" feed (<unknown>:2:-1: Document is empty
> )
> E: error in "4.1" feed (<unknown>:2:-1: Document is empty
> )

You still have errors in your config file.  Did you delete and
recreate it?  If so, what commands did you use?

> [root@benetleilax .rss2email]# r2e list
> default email: hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx
> 1: feedparser (default: hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx)
> 2: 4.1 (default: hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx)
> 3: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mcy/index.rss (default:
> hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx)

Your config still has those wrong values for 1 and 2.  You need to get
rid of them.  I'd suggest moving the entire ~/.rss2email directory
somewhere and starting fresh.

> however, when I do the above as user thufir, which users
> corresponding config file is identical, it just hangs.  what's up?
> what's sendmail doing?  anything?  it doesn't appear in top.  Is
> sendmail working?

Sendmail shouldn't have anything to do with things at this point.  The
config you quoted had this:

>      7  SMTP_SEND=1

That tells r2e to send via SMTP, using the value in SMTP_SERVER.

Men have become the tools of their tools.
    -- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)