Re: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

On 19/04/07, Scott van Looy <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:
> Last semester in my physics course, right in the middle of a lecture,
> the professor's computer informed us that we had 4 minutes until
> reboot, due to updates that had automatically been downloaded and
> installed. He had to stop the lecture, reboot, and then find his
> place. During this time I took the opportunity to mention how
> rediculous that is, without mentioning that I don't use windows, and I
> was told that I'm stupid for not updating my own computer regularly.
> Apparently, reboots in the middle of work are common parts of the
> windows workflow. Worse, people accept that because it's the only way
> to be 'safe'.

I've never seen Windows do that. What I have seen it do is say "Windows
will be restarted in 4 minutes [cancel]"

Cancelling lets you do it later. Being smug about linux lets you earn
lower marks ;)

No cancel button. I even have a screenshot of it doing that to _me_
once: about a week before I moved over to Linux for good. I'll gladly
send you the screenshot. It's in Hebrew, but you can clearly see there
is no Cancel button. And I find it hard to believe that Windows in
English has a cancel button when Hebrew does not.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/quicktime.html
http://essentialinux.com/konqueror.php