Re: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

On 19/04/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 08:07 +0100, Scott van Looy wrote:
> For other issues:
>
> 1) reboot

Rarely needed on Linux, even for major configuration changes.  Needed
all the time with Windows, repeatedly, and a major waste of time.  A few
seconds of reconfiguring something on Linux becomes minutes on Windows.

Last semester in my physics course, right in the middle of a lecture,
the professor's computer informed us that we had 4 minutes until
reboot, due to updates that had automatically been downloaded and
installed. He had to stop the lecture, reboot, and then find his
place. During this time I took the opportunity to mention how
rediculous that is, without mentioning that I don't use windows, and I
was told that I'm stupid for not updating my own computer regularly.
Apparently, reboots in the middle of work are common parts of the
windows workflow. Worse, people accept that because it's the only way
to be 'safe'.

I've never seen Windows do that. What I have seen it do is say "Windows will be restarted in 4 minutes [cancel]"

Cancelling lets you do it later. Being smug about linux lets you earn lower marks ;)

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Conway's Law:
	In any organization there will always be one person who knows
	what is going on.

	This person must be fired.