Re: FC2 to 5 upgrade

> One thing to make sure
> is that you have enough RAM, Anaconda (the installer) in particular is
> pretty memory-hungry these days and wants 256 MB at the very least.

Is it just me who finds this rather odd ? That FC's installer seemingly needs
as much ram as a fully fledged gnome/KDE desktop !! A simple headless server
can run on much less that 256M, and if you want there are light desktops
around, like XFCE, FVWM etc.

It seems downright bizarre that something like a installer needs so much ram.

If you want, you can skip the funky gui installer and use test mode instead,
although I've luckily never needed it myself so far (although maybe 1G won't
be enough for FC7 anaconda... ;))

> And before anyone here accuses me of pitching CentOS: I don't have any sort
> of relations to the CentOS project, in fact I run Fedora on all my
> machines, not CentOS, but I want current software and those are all home
> computers (or in one case a QEMU VM I use only to build x86_64 packages).
> But for that
> mission-critical server where staying current doesn't seem to matter (only
> getting security updates does), I really think a long-term supported
> distribution is the better option, because Fedora is all about staying
> current.

Same here. I use FC on my home machines as I like playing with the new stuff.
But at work, where I need to be serious, it would be a poor choice.
Scientific Linux works very well in my experience but I'm sure centos is as
good. I've just never tried it myself.

Chris