From: "Chris Jones" <jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 3:34:59 PM (GMT-0700) America/Denver
Subject: Re: FC2 to 5 upgrade

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 10:13:51 pm Travis Bullock wrote:
> Hey,
>
> What kind of disasterous outcome should I expect from sticking my FC5 cd's
> into my existing MISSION CRITICAL server and upgrading from FC2 to FC5?
>
> What is the general concensus? Smooth operation? Or freakin' nightmare?
> Should I jump on board with FC6?

Putting aside for a moment the fact the FC has never been a good distro choice
for mission critical servers... I would say it would be a very bad idea to
expect an upgrade from FC2 to FC5 to be anything other than rather painful.
Never done that sort of jump myself but wouldn't expect it to be fun.

MUCH better to wait for FC7 if you can and do a clean install.

Better still, if this is a mission critical machine to choose a distro with a
longer life span better suited to servers, like centos or scientific linux.

Chris