Re: ATi Radeon 9550 + Open Source Radeon Driver Crash the Whole Box

John Horne wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 23:14 +0800, Guo Lin wrote:
Hi guys.

I installed Beryl recently on my FC6. It looks great, the animations
are always smooth and elegant on my ATi Radeon 9550. But after using
it a while, it starts crashing my pc, I mean my whole PC, not Beryl
itself. When it crashes, usually it turn off the power of my PC,
leaving my power button blinking, while at other times it just hang my
PC ( i.e. cursor, num lock and everything is not responding).

I tried to let Beryl run on AIGLX and also on XGL + closed source
driver, but both result in these weird crashes.

Could anyone please guide me to overcome this problem? Or did anyone
experience this before?
Are you sure it is not a heat problem? I have a radeon 9600, and I had
to install an extra fan in the box. Without it the computer
automatically shutdown as it was getting too hot after running 3D stuff.
The system would run at a lower temperature so long as I didn't run any
3D games, 3D screensavers or something like beryl.

Can be a power quality problem too if it is one of those cards that have two connectors. Try swapping out the PSU if you have another one lying around.

-Andy