Re: switching off beep for the system[SOLVED] bullshit!

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Fran�ois Patte wrote:
Matthew Saltzman a �crit :
Also, at some point I recall having the exact opposite problem.  The
pcspkr module was not loaded by default and I had to add it to
/etc/sysconfig/modules/ to get the beep when I wanted it (note that your
opinion about the usefulness/uselessness of the module is just that:
your opinion).

This is not only a "your opinion" problem; I use to work in libraries
and I am often disturbed by the stupid music of people opening their
windows laptop... I don't want to disturb other people when I open my
laptop!

Missed Francois's original reply, so...

That's just rude/thoughtless/ignorant on the part of those people. You are to be commended for thinking to mute your speaker, but that's why most laptops have volume and mute key combos or buttons. If you want to "permanently" disable the speaker, you can follow the below instructions, but if you don't, there are alternatives.

If you do not want the speaker, edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add:

alias pcspkr off

The module will not be loaded any more.

Mikkel

--