Re: update production systems

At 5:00 PM +0200 4/14/07, Thomas Papke wrote:
>Hello,
>
>i am using some fedora 6 servers in production environment. For some of
>them, only short downtime is possible - so i need some help.
>
>Is "yum update" recommend for sensible production systems? On one machine
>i have a self compiled apache (without special compiler flags, just some
>extra modules) running. Will that apache binary still run without
>recompiling when yum update install a newer kernel? Or is it better to run
>"yum update -x kernel*" on production environment?

It is better not to use Fedora for production servers.  You should
transition to RHEL 5 / CentOS 5 when it comes out, as they have an
enormously longer support cycle and will be roughly based on Fedora Core 6.
Do not upgrade to Fedora 7 first.  In general, updates to RHEL / CentOS are
less frequent and possibly better tested than updates to Fedora.

Yum is how Fedora deploys updates, including security updates, and yum
update is the command to use.  Do not do automatic yum updates: do not give
the -y option to yum.  Review the proposed changes for each yum update.
Try them on one server, or better and more responsible, try them on a
similarly configured test server before deploying to any production server.
Personally, I don't have a spare computer, so I set up a virtual machine
under Qemu for my test server.

Httpd will probably work with new kernels.  You must verify this by testing
it.  Httpd normally does not need to be rebuilt to add modules.  Modules
can be loaded by adding them to httpd's modules directory and then adding
the necessary configuration to either httpd.conf or to a new file in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/.  Php is a good example: rpm -ql php.