Re: [OT] For UK residents only - "Unlimited" broadband

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 13:38 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> There is an e-petition asking for ISPs to be forced to stop
> advertising broadband services as being unlimited, then placing a
> fair usage policy in the small print.

Good luck with that, and I'd like to see something similar, here.  It
REALLY pisses me off that someone can advertise **UNLIMITED** but...
Well it's *NOT* bloody "unlimited," then, is it!?!  Some of the "fair
usage" descriptions can be far from *fair*, or even descriptive enough
to be able to slap an understandable meaning onto them.

Of course, the notion of being truly unlimited is usually a bad idea.
But I'd sooner see truth in advertising, where they advertised you being
able to have masses of downloads, rather than unlimited.  Or words to
that effect.  As soon as one ISP plays the lying game, the others end up
having to do the same thing.  We even saw an apologetic letter from one
ISP to their customers about having to do this.

Here, in Australia, it's still common to see ISPs advertising /alleged/
broadband, where you can only download 300 megs a month, then get
slugged with fees or slowed down below crappy dial-up speeds.  I'd even
seen ones with somewhere around a 50 meg download.  DSL it may be, but
broadband it sure ain't.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.