Re: Fedora 7 - RPM Build Nvidia 9755 [revisited]

On Sunday 08 April 2007, Jonathan Berry wrote:
>On 4/8/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As you know, I test kernels for a hobby, and one of the biggest PITA's
>> ever is continually re-installing the nvidia driver since my kernel
>> maker/installer script copies everything already installed from that
>> version in /boot and /lib/modules to a .old version in case things go
>> aglay.  Its an easy revert that way if they do.  But that also means I
>> have to re-install the thing everytime I build a new kernel.  Or for
>> some reason reboot to a known good kernel that's already had it
>> installed once, but nvidia in their paranoia somehow manages to kill
>> it if a different kernel has been booted since that one was.
>
>Gene,
>The nvidia installer has an option to it that will allow you just to
>compile the kernel module, rather than install the whole driver all
>over again (which will blow away all other kernel modules).  You can
>also specify a kernel version for which to build if you wish to
>install it for a kernel other than the currently running version.  -k
>and -K <version>, I believe, are the options.  Run the nvidia*.sh
>script with --help for more details (or there may be another with more
>detailed help, can't remember, I think --help should tell you).  As
>long as you do not upgrade versions of the driver, you can just
>install the kernel module this way and run multiple kernels.
>
>Jonathan

The real problem is that my own installer does an mv of /lib/modules/$VER
to /lib/modules/$VER.old in order to leave a ready path to revert things.
It does the same thing with vmlinuz, initrd, and the various config.gz's
I also store there.  That of course is all my fault because I bypass the
regular install because of its arbitrary editing of /boot/grub/grub.conf,
something I'm quite capable of doing & doing it a lot cleaner. I really
should add a couple of lines to my 'makeit' script that reaches into
that .old tree and copies it to the new tree being installed.  So between
those two actions I should be good to go until nvidia ships a new driver.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

River: "It's broken.  It doesn't make sense."
				--Episode #7, "Jaynestown"