Re: Fedora 7 - RPM Build Nvidia 9755 [revisited]

On Sunday 08 April 2007, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 14:35 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >
>> >I have to concur with Lonni. I was having all kinds of libGL problems
>> >which were fixed by switching to the "official" nVidia driver. I'm no
>> >hardware guru, by any stretch of the imagination, but my problem is
>> >fixed. Ric
>>
>> I have to agree with Ric here. I never did get dkmk or whatever its
>> called to work even though I did ask for directions here, so I've been
>> doing the official nvidia way, from their latest linux 9755 build.  No
>> detectable errors, none, nada, it just works.  What it is, is a PITA
>> to have to do it everytime I boot a different kernel, which may be 5
>> or 6 times a day. But that's my choice as I play the role of the
>> canary.  As for fighting with selinux, nope, disabled, end of
>> discussion.
>
>I notice a significant speed increase as well, at least about 25% or so
>faster. The application I was using kept crapping out with all kinds of
>GL errors and segfaults. I updated the kernel, the livna drivers and
>devel for both. I've battled this for months, never suspecting that
>something so cintegral as a video driver would be broken and stay broken
>upgrade after upgrade. I've been patient and spun my wheels late into
>many many nights for naught, which kinda jerks me off guys. I've
>bothered the living Hell out of the Croquet folks, who spun their wheels
>trying to see if it was their problem. I installed the nVidia official
>driver as the last ditch intervention and that worked. What can I say...
>I've installed at least 10 kernels and 10 kmod-nvidia upgrades through
>this saga, starting around November of last year. During all of this, on
>the Croquet mail list, people using Linux were reporting "working out of
>the box"! I felt like a piece of ham.

As you know, I test kernels for a hobby, and one of the biggest PITA's
ever is continually re-installing the nvidia driver since my kernel
maker/installer script copies everything already installed from that
version in /boot and /lib/modules to a .old version in case things go
aglay.  Its an easy revert that way if they do.  But that also means I
have to re-install the thing everytime I build a new kernel.  Or for some
reason reboot to a known good kernel that's already had it installed
once, but nvidia in their paranoia somehow manages to kill it if a
different kernel has been booted since that one was.

Now, I won't say that this is the be-all and end-all of this, but a one
liner in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local script near the bottom that reads:
/root/bin/install-nvidia
calls the script below and installs the driver & runs a depmod to fix
everything, all in a second or less.

To use this, after the driver has been installed:
#> cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko /nvidia.ko

The script, save it wherever but /root/bin I'd already stuffed with lots
of other handy things and installed it in my $PATH so it was as handy as
any.  After saving it, set the
exec bit with a "chmod +x /root/bin/install-nvidia"

--------cut here-----
#!/bin/bash
# this script should install the nvidia module and
# run a depmod -a `uname -r` IF the module is missing.
# a test deletion to check the opposite logic
# rm -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
if [ -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ]; then
echo nvidia.ko modules is already installed
exit 0
else
echo copying nvidia.ko into kernel modules tree

# move this file someplace out of sight if paranoid about stuff in /
cp /nvidia.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
echo running a depmod -a `uname -r`
depmod -a `uname -r`
fi
if [ -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ]; then
echo nvidia.ko driver sucessfully installed
else
echo install of nvidia.ko driver failed
fi

-----to here--------

Have fun till it really does need a rebuild or a new driver is out, this
saves me about 2 or 3 minutes per reboot, and a heck of a lot of wear and
tear on the return key.  I can go get some caffeine while its booting.
Legal according to nvidia?  DamnedifIknow.  Send me a C&D letter if you
care.

Humm, sitting here, it comes to me that this would also work
as /etc/rc(runlevel).d/S97install-nvidia if it simply returned OK|FAIL,
but I'm lazy & this works for me.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)