Re: OT FireFox - ascii/html symbols displayed

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 15:04 -0400, linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Most of the ascii/html symbols display correctly in FF on
> Linux but some don't (even less display correctly on
> Windows). Is there any kind of plugin or extension
> available to get the rest of them to display?
>
> Examples:
>
>  shows rectangle box with a 007F number inside it.
>      show a diamond with a ?
> inside it.

Character 127, for instance, in your PC's character set does *NOT* equal
character 127 in the HTML character set, even if *some* of the numbers
do align for *some* encoding schemes.  It's the HTML character set that
those numeric entities refer to, matches between different sets are
purely coincidental.  And those particular ones are undefined.

Yes, you can use Windows-1252 encoding, and declare your pages as doing
so, and type characters 127 - 157 directly, and any system that
understands Windows-1252 encoding, and has a suitable font, can display
them.

But you can't, and don't, represent character 127 in Windows-1252
encoding (for instance), with .  That's not how it works.

> the higher the numbers go the more this happens with even
> less actually showing a symbol and not a place holder.
>
> I have created some tables displaying these symbols up to
> ㋈ there are a lot of cool symbols but there are a
> lot more place holders than symbols.

You'll find that most fonts only provide a very small set of the
possible repertoire that Unicode can make use of.  Some browsers, such
as Opera, used to try and find glyphs from alternative fonts, if the
current one couldn't display something.  I presume it still does the
same trick.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.