Re: Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Mike C wrote:
I am using FC6 with KDE as a desktop and fully up to date on kernel
2.6.20-1.2933.fc6.

I have a D-Link G650 card with an atheros chipset.
I have been unable to get this card working despite various attempts with
different versions of madwifi.  I initially tried kmod-madwifi from Livna. Then
I followed the how-to from
http://fedoraforum.org/forum/printthread.php?t=126266&page=1&pp=15

I tried both the latest madwifi version 0.9.3 as well as the new generation
snapshot from 6th April madwifi-ng-r2256-20070406.tar.gz

Nothing seems to work.

In addition I have a Cisco Aironet 350 pcmcia card - this used to work directly
by plugging it in for fc5 and previously - but does not play with the new
kernels in fc6.

Does anyone have any pointers to getting either card going with an up to date
fc6 system with kernel 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6

Thanks

I have a a Toshiba laptop running FC 6 with uname showing kernel 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 running a DWL G650 AirPlus PCMCIA card

rpm -qa  reports:
   madwifi-0.9.3-1.lvn6
   kmod-madwifi-0.9.3-1.2.6.20_1.2933.fc6

When a new kernel comes out, there is an understandable lag before the new kernel modules appear on Livna. Is it possible that you had the wrong module installed?

/etc/modprobe.conf shows  "alias ath0 ath_pci"

I'm using NetworkManager to handle the network setup and everything is working fine. Had to enable NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher using "System>Administration>Services", initially.

I've been successfully using the Livna madwifi modules since the second kernel release for FC6. While this doesn't help you debug your situation, at least it might imply that it CAN work.

~~R