Re: Need (apt and synaptic)

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb <at> tiscali.fr> writes:
> You say you have already installed synaptic. I normally install apt first
> followed by synaptic, but hopefully it will still work ok. Next, check that
> the fedora repo's are active in /etc/apt/sources.list.d . Do this by typing
> gedit or kwrite, or whatever text editor you want to use. When it opens,
> click on filesystem, followed by, (and on the right), "etc", followed by
> "apt", and lastly "sources.list.d". There are 3 text files there. Just click
> on the first one, and check that the second line down doesn't have a "#" at
> the start of it. I think you will find that they are not commented out with a
> "#". If there is no "#" on the second line, just close the text editor, and
> we'll now move on.

I'd add to that that you should replace the entries there, which point to the
master repository (download.fedora.redhat.com), to point to a mirror close to
you instead. It will bring you faster downloads (especially if you're on a fast
connection; on dial-up, it probably doesn't matter that much), and you avoid
swamping the master server even more than it already is.

> Apt stores it's downloaded archives in /var/cache/apt/archives, and unlike
Yum
> which as default cleans the archive when it has finished installing updates,
> apt retains the archive. After a while this can take up significant
> diskspace, and unless you have a particular reason for saving the archives
> like I have, you can run the command, as root, on the CLI.
> apt-get clean.

However, apt-rpm now defaults to removing cached RPMs which are no longer in
the repository (and thus no longer installable through apt, only by running rpm
directly on the cache). That option is called "APT::Get::Archive-Cleanup".

        Kevin Kofler