Re: 'Best Practices' for downloads ??

William Case wrote:
Hi;

I have been using Red Hat and then Fedora for over 3 years.  I am
comfortable with installing *.tar.gz (configure, make and make install),
rpm packages and yum packages.

But I have to admit that my installation directory locations have been
haphazard up to now.  I would like to establish for myself some
installation good practises.
I have a /downloads directory to which all downloads are directed.

My root path is: /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:
/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

My user path is: /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:
/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/bill/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:
/home/bill/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts:

I have a two machine home LAN

How do the 'pros' go about organizing their application downloads and
installation.
For example, for downloaded rpm and *.tar.gz files I create a new
folder  /downloads/newapp and move the downloaded file there. I want to
keep an original copy of the download.
When I use the Archive Manager, where is the best place to put the
opened package?
/downloads/newapp; /tmp; /usr/local, What?
Then when I install, where is the best place to install /usr/share
or /usr/local or /usr/local/share or whatever.

How about Fedora extra installs?  Under Fedora 7 there will no longer be
an extras repository, but from my (as a user) perspective there will be
some applications that I may want to just try out etc. and not
necessarily make part of my main system.  How will ( or do I need to)
separate out their installation?

Is there other considerations, I haven't thought of?

As I say, up to now it has been kind of a random system ( pardon the
oxymoron ).  I would like to regularize my new installations in a manner
that others have found appropriate and/or convenient.

All suggestions gratefully received.

I found myself in a similar situation.. From what I understand, Fedora Core 6 supports the File System Hierarchy Standard v2.3

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

--
-Brian
brian@xxxxxxxxxx