Re: Removing LVM

Mark Fraser wrote:
> I'm having a few problems that I hope you'll be able to help me with. First
> I'll explain what I'm trying to do.
>
> I have 2 drives in my computer an 80GB and a 200GB. At the moment
> everything is on the smaller drive which is using LVM. What I want to do is
> to have /home on the larger drive and to remove LVM and repartition the
> smaller one so that I can try out other distros and to put F7 on when it
> comes out.
>
> At my local Linux user group we tried to do a backup of the small drive to
> the larger one in a tar so that I could then repartition the drive. This
> failed because it tried to backup /sys, /proc and other folders that
> couldn't be backed up. I have tried umounting /proc, but get told that
> Couldn't umount /proc Inappropriate ioctl for device.
>
> So, my questions:
> 1) how can I backup all my data to the larger drive
> 2) remove LVM

You may want to check out the -l option of tar. One problem you will
run into is that the /dev directory is used as the mount point for
the /dev file system used by udev, but there may be some device
entries in /dev that are used at boot. (I have not checked it with
FC6, but I have run into that problem in the past.)

You may want to run lvmdump, and copy the contents to removable
storage. Then boot with something like System Rescue and use the LVM
configuration to mount the LVM volume. You can then copy everything
to the new disk.

http://www.sysresccd.org/

Mikkel