Re: FC6 install failure Intel DG965WH motherboard - SOLVED

I tried everything. The only common thread between this box and prior boxes(one of which had a similiar problem which I ascribed to a bad power switch) using the same m'board was the power supply. So tonight in frustration, I ripped out the Antec P500 power supply and dropped in a new Antex 550W power supply (having the pluggable power cables really helped here). Waho! Booted with only the need for the ide-generic switch and I'm off the to races. I'll be returning the bad power supply to Antec to see if they can figure out the problem.

I simply cannot figure out why it always waited until the identical place in the setup sequence to fail - probably placed a load on something for the first time (?). Anyway, it's now working fine.

Thanks to all who took the time to suggest fixes!

Bob

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bob Hartung wrote:
Peter,
  It makes no difference whether hardrives are set to be RAID, IDE or
ACHI.  I have installed from this DVD to another identical machine (with
RAID 1) step up without this difficulty.

  If I try the two options you noted below, it still shuts down.  If I
try a text install, the same.  If I use 'linux noprobe' then there is no
way for me to get to the ide DVD play installed - the BIOS does see this
and reports is okay.

  To rule out any problems with usb, I switched to a PS/2 keyboard and
unpluged the USB mouse.

  It shutsdown if I try 'linux mediacheck'. etc.

  I am stumpted.  The BIOS version is identical to the other machine
which is running and I have tried reproducing the identical BIOS
settings without luck.  For that reason I don't see any reason to try
and upgrade the BIOS.

I am stumped - - - and I have already wasted far too much time including
returning one motherboard because I thought it was defective.

Anyone have any other ideas.  I will not be back to this till tomorrow
evening, and then I am on call both Friday and Sunday so they are shot.
 Looks like this new server may never see the light of day.

Thanks again,

Bob
Because this is a new motherboard, and possible new memory as well,
you may want to try the memory test option from the install CD. This
could be a memory/hardware problem.

Mikkel