Re: Info on options to yumdownloader

Ahmed A wrote:
> I have a FC6 system (with no updates).

Any particular reason why no updates?

> I have been reading and following the instructions in
> the link
> "http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.html";
> section 8.6, to get the full kernel source to the
> above kernel.  One of the instructions says:
>
> yumdownloader -e core-source -e updates-source
> --source kernel
>
> Can someone please tell me what the options -
> core-source and updates-source do?

The -e (or --enablerepo) option enables a repository.  In this case,
it is being used twice to enable both the core-source and
updates-source repositories.  Those are the same as the core and
updates repos, except they contain the source rpms instead of the
binaries.

> I have done some googling, read man pages, but to no luck.

It seems that the yumdownloader page doesn't list the -e option.  It
is listed in the --help output though:

$ yumdownloader --help
usage: /usr/bin/yumdownloader [options] package1 [package2] [package..]

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -c CONFIG, --config=CONFIG
                        config file to use (defaults to /etc/yum.conf)
  --destdir=DESTDIR     destination directory (defaults to current directory)
  --urls                just list the urls it would download instead of
                        downloading
  --resolve             resolve dependencies and download required packages
  --source              operate on source packages
  -e REPO, --enablerepo=REPO
                        enable repository

I just filed a bug and submitted a patch to add this option (and the
similarly missing --config option) to the man page.  See
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/235142

> Will the option "updates-source"  update my kernel version.

No.  To update your kernel you should just use "yum update kernel" or
to update all of the packages on your system, "yum update".

HTH,

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable
to dispense it.
    -- Dick Cavett, in "Playboy", 1971