Re: System lockup problem when adding more memory - FC5

Cokey wrote:
> I have an older dual processor server that has been happily running FC5
> since it was released.  It currently has 4G of memory and has the
> capacity for 8G using 1G sticks.   Recently I was given 2 1G sticks and
> tried to upgrade the system.  The system recognizes the memory and
> boots, but then locks up with:
>
> exec of initj(/sbin/init) failed: Exec format error.
> Removing the memory clears the problem.  I have also tried some 512
> sticks and they also cause the same problem.  Essentially anything over
> 4G regardless of the how that's arrived at will cause the lockup.
>
> Looking for any hints/ideas.
>
> Tnx
>
> Cokey

You may want to check how your system handles more then 4G of
memory. I seam to recall a thread a while ago about a system leaving
a hole in memory and the BIOS producing an incorrect memory map when
the extra memory was added. (I think it was with more then 2G in
that thread.) You should also check to see if there is BIOS update
for your machine.

Mikkel