Re: VNC Problem

Gene Lapointe" <gene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Make sure your firewall rules allow a connection from port 590x (x = the > VNC server running so 5901 for the first one). I have the firewall set up to accept connections on 5900-5905 and I have the ports forwarded to my fedora machine on my router.
Just making sure. How about the firewall on the Fedora machine? If nothing else, try doing a "service iptables stop" on the Fedora box until you get things working. Any chance of trying to get vnc working from a system inside your router/firewall first? I always like to minimize the number of unknowns when something isn't working the way I'd expect.
> If you want the remote desktop to look like a console login, you'll need > something like the following: > > [dave@fraud ~]# cat .vnc/xstartup
> #!/bin/sh
> > # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> > [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> # xsetroot -solid grey
> # vncconfig -iconic &
> # xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> gnome-session

In my xstartup file, i also had this line
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup.
My xstartup may have been carried forward from a previous release. Seems to work fine though. The main thing is to comment out the xsetroot, vncconfig, and xterm entries. These won't affect just getting things working but the default is minimal. You might want to check that /etc/vnc/xstartup exists and is executable by your VNC user (none of my systems with vnc-server installed have that file). If not, try using the relevant portion of the .vnc/xstartup I provided instead.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce