Re: Is there an application that...

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 19:02 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:
> Is there an application or method (e.g., command the drive to "play > audio") that lets me spin an audio CD in my CDROM drive and listen via > headphones plugged into the drive's audio jack? > > The speaker setup I have plugged into my primary desktop does not > provide a bypass audio jack. Unfortunately, this means I need to become > a hermit and close up my office if I want to listen to tunes while my > wife watches the tube. I find the sound quality acceptable using the > audio jack on the CDROM but I need a way to spin the disk and NOT have > the sound come out the sound card. > > Thanks,
> Dave
What stops you from plugging a headphone into the output jack of your
audio card.
It's a traditional system so the sound card is on the back of the case which sits in a desk and is a royal pain to get to. That's the one down side of having a desk with a specific spot for a system. cdplay seems to fit the bill. I can spin CDs and listen using the drive's audio jack. I just mute the sound card. If I don't need to be under the headphones, I just un-mute the sound with no contortions trying to reach the back of the computer case.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce