repartition active machine

Hi all,
  Here is the issue & I am a relative newbie:
I have a older Linux server with two partitions: /mammdata and /rgdata. The latter partition is no longer needed as the storage requirements exploded and it was all moved to a NAS. /mammdata is almost full. Will this scenario work:

1.  Back up all data on /mammdata (this is a SMB share)
2.  fdisk and delete the partitions /mammdata and /rgdata1
3. create a new partition to use all the space no longer used by the two deleted partitions
4.  mkfs.ext3 -jvL pt-data
5.  restore the backed up data from originally on /mammdata

Thanks for you input,

Bob