Re: Firefox-2.0.0.3 vs FC6? (Configuring Smartpm for Remi repo)

On 3/24/07, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/24/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > >2)Select "Edit/Channels"
> > >3) Click on "New" button
> > >4)Leave default radio button "Provide Channel
> > > Information" selected 5) Click "OK"
> > >6)Select "RPM Metadata" radiobutton
> > >7)Click "OK"
> > >8)Enter "remi" in the "name" field
> > >9)Enter "remi" in the alias field
> > >10)Enter "http://remi.collet.free.fr/rpms/fc6.i386/"; in
> > > the "Base URL" field 11) Click OK
> > >
> > >Done!
> > >
> > > - this is the quick and simple method - there are lots of
> > > options you can set, you can change the alias, and so forth,
> > > but this will create the channel for you. After you've
> > > downloaded the FF2 from his repo, I would suggest going into
> > > "Edit/Channels" and unchecking the remi repo box - leave it
> > > off except when you want to update your FF2 or for other
> > > purposeful reasons.
> > >
> > >--
> > >Claude Jones
> > >Brunswick, MD, USA
> >
> > Message marked Important so I can find it again, thanks
> > Claude.
>
> Remi has included smart configuration in his latest release rpm
> as noted elsewhere in this thread
>
> If any feel adventuresome I've been using smart for about a year
> now, and have configured many repos for use with FC6. I am no
> guru, or programmer, but my configuration works day in, and day
> out. It's got all the most often discussed repos for FC6
> configured and working. It contains no options enabled, such as
> prioritization or the like - just a long list of repos with
> default settings. I've today discovered the file where all this
> stuff lies, and have successfully transferred it to my laptop
> which is running a brand new install of Blag 60000, a derivative
> of FC6. I just transferred the config file from my workstation
> to the laptop, and subsequently opened smart. I went
> into /Edit/Channels, and all my channels from my workstation
> appeared, and I was able to do a refresh. If you would like to
> test this, you can get this file here:
>
> www.tehogeeservices.com/files/config.smartpm.fc6
>
> To use it:
>
> download it to your computer by clicking on the link.
>
> rename it to "config" stripping out the extensions ".smartpm.fc6"
>
> make sure smart is not open
>
> as root, use your preferred method to RENAME the
> file "/var/lib/smart/config" adding an extension that's
> meaningful to you such as "config.original" - DO NOT OVERWRITE
> OR DELETE this file - if things go wrong, this will allow you to
> restore your smart configuration to its original state
>
> as root move the file you downloaded to the same location and
> make sure it is owned by root
>
> open smart and select Edit/Channels and see what you have - Make
> sure you de-select any repos you don't regularly use, and select
> the ones you currently do use
>
> in the main window, click the "update channels" button which
> should do it
>

> If anyone tries this, I'd appreciate feedback

You do not need to export a binary file. The following should work.

# smart channel --show > mychannels.txt

### The above outputs all channels to mychannels.txt (text format).

# smart channel --add < mychannels.txt

### The above imports import channels from mychannels.txt.

Use `smart channel --show` to learn more.

Oops, should be `smart channel --help`  or 'smart --help' since the
folks still haven't gotten around to writing a user's guide.

By the way, back in the FC3 days Dag used to include preconfigured
channels in his packaging  I'm not certain Dries does that any more.