FC6 or something else as Firewall/Gateway/Router

Dear group.

I have since many years been using RH9 on my dedicated firewall box (AMD
K6-400).
When that box died, I replaced it with another box (P2-400) Loaded FC6 on
it.
I am using the gShield script for setting up IP-Tables (used it on the
RH9-box as well)
Now I'm experiencing very low throughput.

My connection is a 24/1 Mbit ADSL connection, but due to distance to the
station real speed is 8.5/0.9 Mbit

When I am measuring my connection speed with TP-Test (A standard SW here in
Sweden for measuring) i get the following results:
With the FC6 Box disconnected I get 8/0,9 Mbit TCP Speed and the same in UDP
( which it should be).
With the FC6 Bo connected acting as a firewall/GW I get 1.2/0.9 Mbit TCP and
8/0.9 Mbit UDP.

For some reason the FC6 box is stopping TCP Packets getting through.

Now my question(s) is:
Is FC6 going over the top, and should I use something else, If so any
recommendations.
Is there any known issues with FC6 regarding this.

The system is installed as server with no GUI loaded, only neccessary
services are running.
The box has around 384 MB memory

With best regards

Tomas Larsson