Firewall - system-config-securitylevel

I am trying to get pserver to work and need to allow traffic on port 2401.

I only have access via ssh to this server. I am using system-config-securitylevel to do this, is that the way to admin the firewall?

I am allowing telnet now, but when I try to telnet to the server it gives "Connection refused".

When I modified the firewall using system-config-securitylevel, do I need to restart the firewall somehow? Is there any textfile where I can find all firewall settings?

How should I "officially" check if the 2401 port is open? I have been using telnet for this, and that gives indications that there is some firewall. Is it possible to see where the request is refused? It might be the ISP that this server is inside that is blocking it?

/Peter