Re: Which processor type should I choose during kernel compilation?

When you are configuring the kernel with xconfig ensure that "Enable Microcode" is not enabled.  That should solve that error.

Good Luck,

Derek

On 3/23/07, John Wendel <john.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeff Mutonho wrote:
> Here's my processor info :
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 6
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
> stepping        : 2
>

> I downloaded the vanilla kernel  linux-2.6.20.3.tar.gz  and went onto
> to install this.During make xconfig , I unchecked the symmetric
> mutli-processing support , and under Processor Family I selected the
> Athlon/Duron/K7 option.
>
> However after  creating the kernel rpm and trying to boot it , I got a
> Kernel Panic , with some error message saying
> "microcode : cpu0 not a capable Intel Processor....
> mount : could not find filesystem 'dev/root/
> setup root : moving /dev failed :no such file"

You selected the correct processor option.

Post the contents of your /boot/grub/grub.conf file. And a listing of
your /boot and /lib/modules directories.

Boot the system with the Fedora kernel. As root, run

chkconfig microcode_ctl off

This should fix the microcode message (which isn't your problem).

Regards,

John