Re: Firefox-2.0.0.3 vs FC6?

Make sure you also install the rebuilt versions of packages linked
against Firefox (at least those you already have installed), there is a
list in the blog post. Otherwise you'll get broken dependencies. Though
the easiest way to get them is to just enable Rémi's repository
altogether and yum upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade. To enable the
repository in apt-rpm, just add this to /etc/apt/sources.list (or to a
file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/): repomd
http://remi.collet.free.fr/rpms fc6.i386
(or .x86_64 for 64-bit, of course). For yum, get his remi-release RPM
and enable the repository in /etc/yum.repos.d/remi.repo.

I tried that a couple of weeks ago with yumex, and got into dependency hell. It wanted to rip out almost half a gig of other packages. No thanks.

I agree fully enabling the remi repo is a bad plan. Instead either

1. Keep it disabled by default and update firefox with

 > yum upgrade firefox --enablerepo=remi

down(up?)side to this approach is you won't automagically get firefox updates, you will need to run this command by hand now and then.

2. Enable the remi repo by default, by set yum up to only allow firefox updates to come from remi - Not sure exactly what edits in the yum conf files are needed for this, but I believe it is possible ?

I just do 1.

Chris