Re: Firefox-2.0.0.3 vs FC6?

On Friday 23 March 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett <at> verizon.net> writes:
>> So how does one go about installing it on an FC6 box?
>
>You install the RPM from Rémi Collet's repository:
>http://remi.collet.free.fr
>http://remi.collet.free.fr/index.php?2007/03/20/324-firefox-2003-1

Unforch, while smart is recommended, and works well 95% of the time, one
thing it doesn't seem to be attracting is "aftermarket" support.  So
there isn't a functioning repo for it to use with remi or livna.

>Make sure you also install the rebuilt versions of packages linked
> against Firefox (at least those you already have installed), there is a
> list in the blog post. Otherwise you'll get broken dependencies. Though
> the easiest way to get them is to just enable Rémi's repository
> altogether and yum upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade. To enable the
> repository in apt-rpm, just add this to /etc/apt/sources.list (or to a
> file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/): repomd
> http://remi.collet.free.fr/rpms fc6.i386
>(or .x86_64 for 64-bit, of course). For yum, get his remi-release RPM
> and enable the repository in /etc/yum.repos.d/remi.repo.

I tried that a couple of weeks ago with yumex, and got into dependency
hell. It wanted to rip out almost half a gig of other packages.  No
thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)