Re: Program comparison for a no-talent artist ??

On 3/22/07, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am asking for experienced peoples opinion on whether going from using
the Gimp to learning InkScape is likely to be worth the amount of work I
would have to put in.  I.e., having learnt some of Gimp will it be
equally as difficult learning to the same level, how to use InkScape?

All opinions will be welcomed.

IMO (as an artist) you need to know at least some vector and some
raster to get the job done.  Inkscape is no Illustrator, but it does a
fair job - IMO the best on linux ATM.  XaraLX is OK, but incomplete
and has some licensing issues.  Scribus works well, but not (yet?)
very powerful insofar as editing vectors goes (a nice layout app
though).

One really nice thing about Inkscape - the tutorials are built-in, and
SVG documents themselves.  Launch Inkscape and select
'Help->Tutorials->Inkscape:Basic' to get started.

So, yes I think it will be worth it - carpe diem!

Chris