Re: NFS Connections irregular

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 01:39 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > Simon Slater <pyevet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> 	I have 3 computers A, B & C connected through an hub. B is a file
> >> server running FC1, A & C have new installs of FC6. A & C can mount
> >> shares on B.  However showmount -e gives:
> >>
> >> # mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered
> >>
> >> from B to either of A or C; from C to A; A to C or itself.
> >>
> >> 	The mount -t nfs C:/share /mnt command from A returns:
> >>
> >> # mount: mount to NFS server 'C' failed: System Error: No route to host.
> >>
> >> similarly fron C to A.  Yet from server B the same command to either A
> >> or C returns:
> >>
> >> # mount: RPC: Remote system error - no route to host.
> >>
> >> 	Each box can ping the others, the /etc/hosts and /etc/exports files
> >> seem to be in order.  What am I missing?
> The RPC: Program not registered message means that the nfs service is
> not running on A or C. This makes sense as you a may not want those
> machines to act as nfs share servers, but only as clients.
>
> The 'No route to host' message means that the firewall on the remote end
> of the call is eating the packets. A quick check is to run 'iptables -F'
> on the remote end. If you can immediately establish the share, it
> confirms that the firewall is doing its job.
>
> On FC6 use the program 'lokkit' which is a gui to set/open the firewall.
> Just click on the box to allow NFS and close. For sure results, then run
> 'exportfs -ra' and 'service nfs restart' on the machine whose firewall
> you have just touched. Then re-mount from the other machines.
>
> Geoff

	Thank you Geoff
		All is as it should be on boxes B & C.

	However on A nfs was certainly stopped, but a start and restart gave:
[root@A ~]# service nfs start
Starting NFS services:                                     [FAILED]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
[root@A ~]# service nfs restart
Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
Starting NFS services:                                     [FAILED]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
[root@A ~]#

	What would be causing this?
Thanks
Simon