emacs startup time under gnome?

Before I go binary searching lisp files, does anyone know why emacs goes into a blank
stare for about thirty seconds during startup when running under a gnome session?

If I run a frill-free X session under a plain fvwm window manager, emacs has gotten
started by the time I get my finger off the return key.

If I run the same emacs under a gnome login, at some point during startup it pauses
for an excessive time, then finally finishes up.

If I build an emacs from straight GNU source with no redhat patches or add-on lisp
files, it can startup under a gnome session with no long pauses.

This leads me to believe something "helpful" redhat adds to emacs is interacting
with gnome in some irritating way.