squid problem SOLVED (sort of)

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 16:03 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I've been running squid on one of my boxes and have configured the
> browsers on my other machines to use it as an HTTP proxy server via
port
> 3128.  I've edited the squid configuration file
(/etc/squid/squid.conf)
> by adding these lines before the line "http_access deny all":
>
> acl internal src 192.168.1.0/24
> http_access allow internal
>
> Then I opened port 3128 (tcp protocol) on the server.  This
arrangement
> (which seems pretty standard) has worked without problems for a few
> months and a large cache has made using the web faster.  Recently I've
> tried accessing internet URLs like this that reference a specific
port:

> http://lib6.wsulibs.edu:8888/sfx_local
>
> and I get a "Connection to 134.121.5.234 failed" error message from
> squid.  But if I change the browser to use the direct internet
> connection things work normally.
>
> Why is this happening?  Is there some other setting I need to make in
> squid.conf?

After fiddling with this problem for about a month -- following threads
from Google and starting one of my own on www.linuxquestions.org, all to
no avail -- I finally found this priceless revelation in the book "Linux
Power Tools" by Roderick W. Smith (p.175):

"Some websites simply don't work well through a proxy..."

Simply add the name of problematic websites to the "No Proxy for" list
on the Firefox "Connection Settings" panel.  This may be a kludge... but
who has the time to try out all 125 or so settings
in /etc/squid/squid.conf?