Re: Mount external USB disk at boot up

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 18:40 +0100, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> I have an external 250 GB hard disk that I use for backup. I use Gnome
> and when I log into Gnome it automounts. But if I am not logged in
> Gnome it is not mounted. I'd like to have it mounted all the time. I'd
> like to be able to get the backups running even if no user is logged
> in.
>
> I have it formatted with ext3.
>
> One way I understand it can be done is to enter a line in /etc/fstab.
> I entered the following line:
>
> /dev/sdb1            /media/Backup           ext3    auto,hotplug,defaults 1
>
> (I have a physical /media/Backup dir created with the right
> permissions).

/media is managed by the auto-mounting system.  I'd be inclined to mount
manually defined things elsewhere.  Also, I'd use options more like
other mount points.  For example, my homespace is mounted thus:

  LABEL=/home         /home           ext3    defaults        1 2

So try something like:

  LABEL=backup         /backup        ext3    defaults        1 2

(Tune lable names and mount points to suit yourself.)

Of course, you'll strike problems if you try to boot up without it
connected:  There'll be some delay during booting while it attempts to
mount it, but then eventually aborts when it can't.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.