Re: Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

On 3/20/07, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Personally, I am willing to put up with problems installing a distribution
if I really want to install it,
and I have put up with enormous problems in the past to install Fedora -
the worst being, as I mentioned, on Sony PictureBooks.

In my experience, Sony has notoriously suck-tastic support for
recordable media in their drives due to their love for DRM. Since
Ubuntu disks from ShipIt are pressed and not burned on recordable
media, could it be that you are having issues with a particular
brand/type of recordable media that you are using to burn Fedora
images on? Just a thought since, by my recollection, I have yet to
have any issue, *ever*, with a Fedora CD not booting and I have been
tracking various stable/unstable versions on a wide variety of
machines since before Fedora. I have had some problems with a few
other distros but mainly in the kernel loading stage due to missing
hardware support in the initrd.

I wish Fedora would undertake some modest investigation
to see what problems people have with installation.
I have suggested this, but been told that it would be a mammoth task,
which I find difficult to believe.

The proper course of action would be for you to first troubleshoot
your own kit to see if the issue is local to faulty (broken or by
design) hardware. Then, once you determine that you are not at fault,
point your finger at the Fedora Project by filling out a bug report
recording your hardware details and what you have done to verify that
you have working hardware (booted several other burned CDs, did a
media check on the Fedora CD, etc.). That is how this truly mammoth
task of getting 100% hardware support is accomplished ... not by
writing inflammatory emails to public mailing lists accusing the
Fedora devs of ignoring some huge shortcoming in their distro.

... and in the end, Fedora (or at least used to) provides an
old-school floppy disk image for those systems that can't boot from CD
for some reason. I doubt they do for the LiveCD though. You could
always try a syslinux boot to CD boot floppy.