Mount external USB disk at boot up

I have an external 250 GB hard disk that I use for backup. I use Gnome
and when I log into Gnome it automounts. But if I am not
logged in Gnome it is not mounted. I'd like to have it mounted all the
time. I'd like to be able to get the backups running even if no user
is logged in.

I have it formatted with ext3.

One way I understand it can be done is to enter a line in /etc/fstab.
I entered the following line:

/dev/sdb1            /media/Backup           ext3    auto,hotplug,defaults 1

(I have a physical /media/Backup dir created with the right
permissions).

but I got an error at the bootup process telling me that the filesytem
was not ready, it didn't like that line. What is the right syntax for
the fstab line? (I also tried once to put LABEL=Backup insted of
/dev/sdb1 since this is the label of the disk and it froze completely
at that line, had to boot in with live cd and erase manually).

I understand that there is also a way of using autofs to have the disk
be mounted automatically when I try to access it, but I haven't been
able to figure out how to configure it (change the /etc/auto.master
file?).

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes