Re: Bug in hal-cups with FC6

KH wrote:

> The icon is the one usb mass storage devices.
> It is a multifunction device. I downloaded and installed the ppd (in
> this case the MFC210) proberly. I tried it via localhost:631 - no success.
> The system (which ever) does not allow device URIs like "/dev/usb/lp0" -
> (which I use under FC4 and also OpenrSuSE - and which work fine) - it
> generates entrees like "Brother_MFC-215C_USB_1" or
> "hal://org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4f9_193_BROD6F615210_if0_printer_noserial".

The URI for a USB parallel port should be something like:
usb:/dev/usb/lp0

But it may well be that the entry of Brother_MFC-215C_USB_1 is
correct. A lot of devices end up with more descriptive symlinks so
that the correct device is used even if they are plugged in a
different order. Depending on what USB devices you have, there may
be more then one device that can /dev/usb/lp0, so the printer may be
/dev/usb/lp1 next time. (For example, you could have more then one
USB printer, and not always have both plugged in, or change where
they are plugged in, so they are detected in a different order.)

It gets tricky when you have more then one of the same model printer
plugged into the same computer - you then need to add some rules
based on the serial number if it matter what printer gets what jobs.
(Different paper, or ink cartridges...)

Mikkel