Re: Recipe for Li-Ion battery longevity

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> Standard advice for rechargeable batteries is to use them, you get your
>> money's worth that way.  If you don't make use of them, it's a waste.
>
> I'm not sure what this means.
> Surely most people will use a laptop
> (or indeed any device with a rechargeable battery)
> if they have one?
> What else would you do with it?
>
> What I find amazing about this endless discussion
> is that it must be the simplest thing in the world
> for a lab to work out which usage gives the longest life.
> On the other hand, it is difficult for a person with one
> or even a few laptops to run an experiment on these lines.

I know several people that use their laptop as if it were a desktop
machine. They have not been unplugged, except when moved for
cleaning, for a couple of years. Battery life after a year or so of
this is about 5 minutes. Compare this to the same age/model laptop
that goes through charge/discharge cycles, even partial
charge/discharge, and is not left plugged in all the time. Most of
these still have at least 80% battery life. (Personal experience -
YMMV.)

It is tempting to tell these people to remove the battery, and store
it somewhere, but I am not sure if they are needed for power
regulation, and some laptops require the weight or the battery for
stability... (I vaguely recall reading something about not changing
the battery with the laptop in operation, but I forget what laptop
that was...)

Mikkel