Re: Automounter - need documentation on auto.master options

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 12:00 +0000, Eur Ing Chris Green wrote:
> I don't really understand what the "/net  -hosts" line does, I think
> it means that you'll get automounted directories in /net from hosts
> listed in /etc/hosts.  Anyway it isn't mounting the directory I'm
> interested in.

It means that it'll pay attention to requests to find something in /net.

e.g. If I request "/net/server/downloads", whether that be with an "ls"
command, "cd" command, or a plethora of other filesystem access methods,
automount will attempt to access the "downloads" directory on a machine
with "server" as its hostname (that hostname could be mentioned in
your /etc/hosts file, or a DNS query can be made to resolve it).  I'm
not sure if it'll try both SMB and NFS, as I no-longer use SMB on my
system, but it definitely works with NFS.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.