Xorg Freezes

Hello,

I'm having a problem since I upgraded from FC5 do FC6.

I'm having a Toshiba M70-192 laptop with Ati Mobility Radeon X700 video
adapter.

My current kernel is:
[root@bu ~]# uname -a
Linux bu 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Mar 10 19:15:16 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

My Xorg version is:
[root@bu ~]# X -version

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp i686 Red Hat, Inc.

I'm using the fglrx drivers with version:
[root@bu ~]# fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON X700
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6334 (8.34.8)

The problem:

The system freezes randomly without any possibility of reproducing the
behaviour on purpose.

1. Sometimes the X server freezes but I still can move the mouse without doing
anything else - even switching to a console through Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6] is
impossible.

2. Sometimes the X server freezes and even the mouse cannot be moved.

3. Sometimes just kwin freezes so I can switch to a console, kill kwin, export
DISPLAY=:0.0 and start kwin from there so that it replaces the original kwin
just being killed and switching back to X with Ctrl+Alt+F7 allows me to
continue working.

If 1. or 2. occur the only possible "solution" I've found is pushing the Power
button of the laptop so that it halts and booting it again.

If 3. appears I can continue but until 1., 2. or 3. happen again.

If I stop using the laptop for a while and it locks the desktop - 1. or 2.
usually occur - the longer I stay away from it, the bigger the possibility of
having the problem.

Sometimes 1. and 2. happen when I'm using the laptop in the moment.

I consider myself a seasoned Linux user but having nothing in
dmesg, /var/log/messages and /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
makes me crazy because it's a really annoying problem and I can't isolate the
reason for it.

I've updated the system regularly - 3 kernely updates, several fglrx updates
(using Livna's repository) but the problem stays.

The only thing I can add is the fact that when I upgraded from FC5 to FC6 i
removed the fglrx package from ATI, I reinstalled

mesa-libGL-6.5.1-9.fc6
mesa-libGL-devel-6.5.1-9.fc6
mesa-libGLU-6.5.1-9.fc6
mesa-libGLU-devel-6.5.1-9.fc6

because I read that installing fglrx permits testing Beryl. So I tested Beryl
for a while and installed fglrx again (again using Livna's repository) and
hoped having a sweet life with FC6 but... here it came - a problem I can't
reproduce on purpose. I'm not sure the problem is in using
rpm --force --nodeps -ivh mesa-libGL* - there's no reason in having a problem
with that.

A final fact - my Superkaramba system monitor shows 100% CPU usage when 3.
occurs and when I switch with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and execute `top` I see Xorg is the
reason for this load.

Maybe there's a memory leak, maybe it's sth else... I don't know.

Has anyone had similar problems?

--
Cyberly yours,
Petar Nedyalkov

PGP ID: 7AE45436
PGP Public Key: http://bu.orbitel.bg/pgp/bu.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 7923 8D52 B145 02E8 6F63 8BDA 2D3F 7C0B 7AE4 5436