Re: problems w/drives and fc6 (still)

Tim:
>> That still doesn't tell me what you're browsing with.  If you're in KDE,
>> it's probably Konqueror.  If you're in Gnome, it's proabably Nautilus.
>> Not that I'm sure this is really important to the problem, though.
>>
>> Show us the output from:  ls -l /dev/cd*

That was a command line, above.  If you'd put it into a terminal, you'd
have given us information that might help us to help you.

John:
> I'm using Gnome; I can't give you more info, because I don't know what
> to tell you.

The default Gnome file browser is Nautilus.  You could work that out
from the menus at the top of those browser windows that open when you
double-click on a folder.  The help menu / about item does identify the
program in use, if it's not obvious in some other way (like the program
name in the title bar).

That green arrow means that what you're looking at is a "link" to
something else.  e.g. A /dev/cdrom device being a link to /dev/hdc,
which means that a CD is connected to the secondary master IDE
interface.  Right-clicking an entry and viewing its properties would
tell you that information.

> I -don't- use programs like Konqueror or Windows Explorer; personally
> I think they're kinda lame.

I agree.  All of them are just file browsers, Nautilus included.  None
are really file managers (things that let you do using a GUI, all the
things that command line addicts want to do - pattern matching, batch
selections, more, rename, re-sort, and whatnot, as well as something the
command line does not let you easily do - arbitrary selections of
unrelated multiple files).

>> Do you know what type of drive you have?

> IDE; though last week, I attached an IDE dvd player via a ide-usb cable.
> I kinda wonder if that mucked things up.

It might change the order of things while that's connected, but you
could disconnect that to see what changes.  And that's more likely to be
treated as SCSI than IDE, that's the usual way USB storage devices are
treated.

> I've been coming across folders or pref settings that tell me I don't
> have the permission (or some bs) when I try to change a setting. Just
> curious if SELinux was doing something (guess not?).

Probably not, it's probably just the usual Unix user/group/other
read/write/execute permissions.  Ordinary users are not allowed to
change system files.  Only the root user may do so.

On a real multi-user system that stops some malcontents from causing
trouble.  On a single-user system it stops you making a mess of things.
Don't fight against it.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.