Re: FC6 & MADWIFI

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 16:21 +0900, Nicholas Lysaght wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I am running Fedora Core 6 from an Atholon 1000 cpu, with normal wired
> DSL Access (Realtek8139). I have an Asus M2N-TVM motherboard with a
> Atholon 3500 single core awaiting installation of Fedora Core 6.
> However, this box has a D-LINK DWL-G520 WLan Card, and therin lies the
> problem.
>
> On a previous install, Fedora cannot pick up the wLan Card. I know from
> my eComStation install that the DWL-G520 uses the Atheros Chipset with
> the Identifier of 168c:0013. Googling "Atheros" will bring me to a site,
> that will give all the specs of my card.
>
> My understanding is that Madwifi is like a sort of generic wrapper,
> where once it is installed (including, as I understand - linux kernel
> updates), it will allow the parent Fedora system to pick up the card (as
> one of many Atheros Cards)....I supply the ssid etc....and bingo, we
> have wireless! :-)
>
> Problem with me is: I am very very raw in Linux. :-[      I think I've
> seen somewhere where it has happened, but cannot follow the path to
> acheive it. Is there anyone who has succeeded in Getting Wireless to go
> using this card, FC6 and Madwifi? I can go "walklan" between these two
> machines, as required. If there is anything I've missed, please let me know.
>
> I look forward to  your help, and thank you in advance.

First - verify that your card is atheros.

/sbin/lspci |grep -i atheros

You should see atheros mentioned in the output if your card is atheros.

If it is - set up to use rpm.livna.org:

http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/i386/repodata/repoview/livna-release-0-6-1.html

Install that package.

Once installed so that you can use the rpm.livna.org repository -

yum install kmod-madwifi

That should do it for you.