Re: problems w/drives and fc6 (still)

John wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 21:43 -0500, John wrote:
I've been messing around, trying to get the floppy and cd burner to work/appear, with little success. I've noticed in the dev folder, the icons for the floppy and burner have that green backwards arrow. What's up with that crap?

Dunno what you're using to view that folder, but if you use the command
line, you can see something like this:

$ ll /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar 14 14:03 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar 14 14:03 /dev/cdwriter -> hdc

It indicates that the cdrom device is a link to the hdc device.

Whilst some things can make use of your CD-ROM just as long as they can
find it, somewhere.  Other things will only treat it like one if the
device name fits a certain pattern (e.g. has cdrom or dvdrom in it).

I go Computer (desktop icon) / Filesystem / dev (folder) and the cd drive items (icons?) are there- not in a folder or anything. There's similar icons for the floppy drive, but they're in a folder (in dev) named fd0. I got thinking last night- would something like this work: if I pulled the power cables for the two drives and booted the box, so FC could register them not being there... I could shut down the box, plug the drives back in and boot the box up again. I was thinking FC -should- see the two drives as new hardware? Its strange- I run hwbrowser, which sees the two drives, but hwbroswer says there's no drivers- unlike the other hardware. When I click/start the cd player in Apps/Sound and Video, it says that's its unable to run correctly. Clciking on details show that cd player is /dev/scd0... I try to 'set the device' and that option is greyed out. Last night I thought SELinux had something to do with it, but I couldn't find anything that would disable the drives.

                      John

 Strange thing; cd's work with KsCD...