Re: Obvious page misalignment problems when printing

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:47:09 -0400
"Philippe A." <futhark77@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd like someone to tell me what the origin of this problem could be. Could
> it be fixed? I don't think cups is the problem. It is common to all software
> but it prints its test page correctly. Yet, I find the problem a bit
> widespread!

Its just variation in individual printers. If you calibrate your printer
with some test programs, you should be OK:

The http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/ download site has some
postscript programs for coming up with the magic gibberish you need to
stick in your printer's /etc/cups/ppd/<whatever>.ppd file. For instance,
here is the stuff at the end of my laser printer's ppd file:

*DefaultMargins: Custom
*Margins Default/Driver Default: ""
*Margins Custom/Custom (set with 'alignmargins'): "<</.HWMargins[12.02 12.8 14.4 12.02] /Margins[12 -24]>>setpagedevice"
*CloseUI: *Margins

Why this calibration stuff hasn't made it into the standard linux releases
as a normal part of printer setup, I don't know, but if you play with the
postscript files enough you can figure it out eventually.