Re: problems w/drives and fc6 (still)

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 21:43 -0500, John wrote:
>   I've been messing around, trying to get the floppy and cd burner to
> work/appear, with little success. I've noticed in the dev folder, the
> icons for the floppy and burner have that green backwards arrow. What's
> up with that crap?

Dunno what you're using to view that folder, but if you use the command
line, you can see something like this:

$ ll /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar 14 14:03 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Mar 14 14:03 /dev/cdwriter -> hdc

It indicates that the cdrom device is a link to the hdc device.

Whilst some things can make use of your CD-ROM just as long as they can
find it, somewhere.  Other things will only treat it like one if the
device name fits a certain pattern (e.g. has cdrom or dvdrom in it).

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.