mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1 failure in FC5

Greetings!

I just installed FC5 on my RedHat 9 system - in its own partition (not upgrade). I also installed two 120GB SATA drives in the system, (which, RH9 doesn't support). My motherboard and bios allowed configuring the SATA drives as RAID or as IDE. Fedora did not see them when configured as RAID, so I configured the SATA interface as IDE.

fdisk /dev/sda did allowed me to add a primary partition to the drive.
When I tried to format the partition with mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1, mkfs announced that the device did not exist.

I found a note in the archives that said that if that failed, try mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda. That worked.

Is there some reason that mkfs on FC5 would not recognize a primary partion on the SATA drive?

Mother board is MSI's PM8M-V with VW8237 chipset.

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above page first!)
Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html