Re: morning update, using smart

On Saturday 17 March 2007, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>On 17/03/07, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [root@coyote ~]# /usr/bin/fc-cache /usr/share/fonts
>> /usr/share/fonts: failed to write cache
>> /usr/share/fonts/bitmap-fonts: failed to write cache
>
>Are all those directories writable?
>
>> So where IS this cache file?
>
>In those directories:
>
>$ find /usr/share/fonts -name fonts.cache\*
>$ man fc-cache

Ok, I've even gone so far as to do a 'chmod -R 0777 /usr/share/fonts', but
with the exception of the msttcorefonts subdir, the file fonts.cache-1
doesn't exist, and the one that does in msttcorefonts shows a current
a-time from an ls -lc, but c-time from an ls -l output is unchanged.
They are all owned by root:root, and I'm doing this as root.  So I'm not
much further along at understanding this.

And somehow, I think this has a lot to do with painfully slow startup
times for such as kmail and FF.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)