Re: Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Stefan Held wrote:
Am 16.03.2007 13:38 Uhr schrieb "Timothy Murphy" unter
<tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Yesterday I downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu Live CD (6.06),
and it worked like perfectly on the 4 machines I tried it on.

Yes, this is what is called a stable Version of Ubuntu.

The rather ancient version of Knoppix I have
also works perfectly on all the machines I have tried it on.

Which is also a Stable Release of Knoppix
I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.

I downloaded both, DVD and CD Torrent of F7 Test 1 and 2.

Both worked like a charm on my machine.

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully booted from this CD,
but I only got advice on how to test the CD;
nobody replied that they had actually got it to work.

I did not answer but yes, it worked for me.
In my experience there is something basically wrong
with the CD reading part of Fedora CDs,
as many people report problems installing Fedora this way.

Why should it? Did you verify the sha1 summs of your download?

Did you test the same CD on a bunch of identical Machines/CD Drives?

Did you try to burn the CD with 4x speed only? Then test again?

Well you are definitely doing something wrong, I have downloaded a number CD's, DVD's of fedora 5,6,7 test 1,2 and burn and run them with no problems.
Is this just a excuse to go to ubuntu?
I hold Linux meeting once a month and the Ubuntu people are spreading the FUD around that Fedora is a bleeding edge, unstable, distro, these guys are beginning to sound like $MS people. Fedora 5, 6 , I have installed both and did updates on a number of boxes, i386, X86_64 and had no problems. Fedora comes out with a kernel update more often the other distro's , that could cause problems. After you have done your first update, after installation, don't update the kernel anymore, put a line in /etc/yum.conf
exclude=kernel .
The kernel only needs to be updated if you have need for new drivers.

Jim